Procedural open world ARPG/roguelite
Download Alpha 1 below and leave a comment
Gameplay is highly incomplete. All feedback is much welcome, especially regarding controls, usability, and gamefeel.
For occasional behind the scenes posts, follow me @hellobalint on Twitter.
- Arrow keys for movement
- X key for action
- 1-2-3 number keys or C key to switch tools
- P key to change player character color (no effect on gameplay)
- Ctrl-Q or Cmd-Q to quit (no saving yet, sorry)
You can set up a controller in the Configuration window's Input tab.
Alpha 1 features
- Procedurally generated, endless overworld
- 11 biomes
- 5 enemies and basic combat
- Collectible gems as a rudimentary high score mechanic
- Health pickups
- 3 tools to hack and slash with (sword, hatchet, pickaxe)
- Destructible environment
- Basic sounds
- Tools sometimes get stuck when repeatedly pressing the action key/button fast
- Performance might degrade over time
- Sometimes enemies try to leave visible world chunks and get killed off-screen to avoid further issues
- In rare cases some enemies and items disappear as you approach them
Major planned features
- Multilevel dungeons & caves (Alpha 2)
- Magical artifacts
- A variety of enemies with different attack patterns
- Procedural, context-dependent music
This game is in a very early stage. I've been working on it since 2016 but I've mostly been tackling technical things, and creating a framework for all the content I have planned. In its current state the game is fairly shallow, more a proof of concept than anything, but I now have a solid base to build more mechanics on. I'm working on the game by myself alongside a full-time (non-gamedev) job.
The exact end result I want to achieve is still very much in planning — the things I'm most decided on in the game are the kinds of emotions I want to evoke in players. Wonder, excitement, the sense of exploring an unknown world, gaining more confidence as you journey through a varied landscape. The rest will unfold as I go.
I intend to keep the game free as long as it's in alpha. Donations welcome!
PS: Yes, there's a way to get rid of ghosts. 👻